June 20, 2011

A Midsummer Night's Update

The summer solstice is tomorrow, so it will be the longest day of the year in terms of sunlight. Not that the newest sheet music has anything to do with that; I just needed a relevant post title.

This week I have for your playing pleasure two more pieces:
From Chrono Cross, the beautifully woeful "Dead Sea/Tower of Ruin." (Also known as Tower of Geddon, Ruined Tower, and Tower of Destruction, which all seem to be valid translations.) I know the Dead Sea theme has been transcribed by others before, but I like it so much that I wanted to do it myself. I added some chords and octaves in the B and C sections the second time through to change the feeling of the piece and make it sound a bit more like the original. Expect a video tomorrow.

From Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, a short one--"All Aboard the Excess Express." I gave it the tempo indication "Tempo di locomotiva" because it should be played swiftly and evenly like a moving train. The short, repeated phrase that makes up most of the left hand part can be accented to lend the piece a chugging feeling.

Despite my whiny post last week, I have made no decision yet about whether to continue using Blogger. At first I wasn't even sure using a blogging site was the right way to go, but in the end I thought it would be a good way for me to give some information on each new piece I transcribed, and it would make the potential addition of other news/information to updates easier. Any thoughts or suggestions? Does anyone even read this?

P.S. To the kind YouTuber who requested a video of "Let's Walk Together" (a.k.a. the nighttime Gear Savanna theme from Digimon World), I haven't forgotten about you! It's next on my list. It's just not the easiest piece out there...
And to the rest of you, I believe I said this already, but I intend to eventually make a video for each piece of music to replace all the MIDIs so you can get a better idea of what the music sounds like on a piano.

No comments:

Post a Comment